Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Week 4: Social Networking

I was doing such a good job of keeping up on Semester 2. What happened? I was about to give up, but my wife, who I seem to mention here a lot, reminded me that we get $25 for finishing, so I'm going to give it a try!

I've looked at the MySpace pages for other libraries and I certainly notice patrons here in the library looking at other, but I just can't get very excited about it. Even though I have found it very useful from time to time, such as when a potential performer refers me there to listen to a clip, I just don't like the way it looks. It has a bit of an amateurish look to it, especially considering all of the cool, professional looking websites out there.

There's also probably something in my nature that keeps me from getting into it. I'm just not interested in going online looking for new friends. I can't seem to find the time to interact with the few friends I already have.

Libraries are clearly doing some wonderful things with MySpace and Facebook, but I don't think I'm especially well-suited for it.

No comments: