Thursday, April 3, 2008

Week 10: Mashups

My library had already been added to Map Builder. The perils of procrastination. I tried to think of something creative to add, such as the various locations I've encountered wildlife (grouse, pheasant, fox, coyote, turkeys, chickens, charging deer, etc.) on long bike rides, but that didn't really seem to be in the spirit of the assignment. Instead I added a couple of out of the way restuarants in eastern Wisconsin I've discovered in my ramblings. You'll notice a couple of themes: pizza and beer. :)

The first mashup I ever used, even before I knew what a mashup was, was GMaps Pedometer. I couldn't understand why Google didn't promote this tool from their front page until it was explained to me by a friend that it wasn't a Google product. He's a software engineer, so I didn't feel TOO stupid. Anyway, it's a great tool, one that I had actually envisioned years early, but alas, I thought I would have to learn computer programming to create it.

I learned a little more about Mashups at an excellent program last fall at WLA with Julie Fricke from Lawrence University. There's some information about it here.

As for, "do you have any creative ideas for using mashups?" Sadly, no. But I'm definitely going to keep it in mind.

No comments: